As your representative in Congress, I will fight to protect the quality and integrity of the American public school system: our future literally depends on it.
What we are facing:
As a former teacher, I know the importance of public education and have seen first hand how our teachers are our most essential public servants.
Today that institution is under attack. When education is treated as a source for profit, it becomes easy for students to fall through the cracks. Special Needs students, students with disabilities, students from underserved communities or at-risk neighborhoods; all these children suffer when education is treated as a for-profit commodity.
Where I stand:
The federal government must strengthen and expand our public education system. I will fight for:
- Amendments to the Elementary and Secondary Education Act that would raise the floor of our public education system by reducing class sizes.
- Increasing teacher compensation.
- Providing for arts, athletics, and STEM programs.
- Installing modern technology in every classroom.
- Guaranteeing quality special education programs.
Why we need change:
I prioritize investing in quality public education. My opponent’s position: defense spending is more important than education and he would sacrifice education spending. He supports charter schools and says fully funding public and HBCUs is too expensive
Endorsed by teachers throughout the 10th district
“Austin teachers and school employees endorse Mike Siegel for Congress because he will fight for us, our students, and public education in Texas.”
- Ken Zarifis, President, Education Austin